Monday, September 26, 2011

ITU Short Course World Championships: Expect the Unexpected... and the Expected

Having gone to China on alert for anything arthropod, water, or food born, I thought I had covered all the bases.  I arrived armed with sunscreen, antacids, antibiotic and N95 masks.  I was not accustomed to potent allergens; and, I still don't know what caused me to lose half my body weight through my eyes and nose during the ride home from the opening ceremony.  I felt like every ion in Christiansted Harbor was hosed into both eyes over the course of 15 minutes.  Based on the cessation of burning when I stepped off the bus I assumed the ventilation system was involved.  After some trial and error I again suspected the food played a role in some capacity.  The American restaurant version does not have the same effect.  I thank the individual who donated the antihistamines.  Sorry I didn't get your name.  One more item for my travel supply list.

While I was well-armed with outlet adapters and a voltage converter, I discovered something else.  The electrical outlets accepted multiple configurations.  My trimmer was the only appliance I had that couldn't handle more than 120 volts.  The bathrooms had outlets with three holes labeled on the left side as 115V and the right as 240V, suggesting the left and middle would supply 115 volts.  I would do without my converter I thought.  My trimmer's AC adapter hasn't worked since.

This exceptionally challenging Olympic distance left many of us a bit flustered.  A new personal worst for me? Based on my data, anecdotes, and the finishing times of others this was a counterfeit Olympic distance.  While the traction for the Saturday races were compromised by the wet blue mats, I welcomed being able to run fast in transition without my feet being cut to shreds.

In the massage tent ballistic stretching was used, which I have not encountered in North America, and rightfully so.  The amount of time spent in massage was good, however.

The continued dominance of certain countries in the elite race is an interesting pattern.  I have my doubts about USA Triathlon's approach to starting people earlier and earlier in life.  I suspect a different set of variables will shape the podiums for generations to come.

Well done Team USA.  It was an honor to compete among so many talented medalists.

No comments:

Post a Comment